Abraham Maslow once said, “If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.”
This is how most traditional consulting firms work. No matter what industry or problem is presented in front of them, they take nearly identical approaches for each one. However, it’s important for leaders to take a step back in the face of a new challenge and search for the solution that best fits their unique situation.
When businesses begin to look for consultants to assist with their tactical efforts, how do they make their decisions? There are a few choices in the pulp, paper and packaging industries:
- You choose the gold-plated toolbox from a top three firm – no one gets fired for hiring MBB, right? The challenge, however, is their lack of industry expertise, which means longer implementation time. They need additional time to get up to speed on the industry’s market movements before they can discuss strategy, making it a higher investment.
- You choose the biggest toolbox – certainly, a large toolbox offers the potential to fit your challenge. But how are they structured and where do they get the essential data needed to back market experience?
- You choose an engineering firm. Many engineering and construction firms in the industry offer consulting reports on markets, usually in connection with capital investments. In addition to expertise that ranges too wide, we worry that some firms might also be too biased. After all, they have a vested interest if they believe they could get a big engineering project because of their study. A CEO from a large papermaker once told us, “Every time we hire your competitor, their answer is always ‘buy more equipment.’”
- You choose a small independent firm that is chosen for relationship or cost reasons. Smaller firms are often good at solving a specific problem. Unfortunately, they typically lack the bandwidth to assist in other areas or lack global data sets needed to solve larger scale problems.
- You choose a toolbox built for your industry with technical tools and platforms for the market. At Fisher International, we call this leveraged consulting – the smart way to navigate strategic challenges.
Whether you’re a producer, supplier, investor or end-user, we have the tools needed to help you forge a clear path in this volatile industry. What distinguishes Fisher consulting from any other service is our Leveraged Consulting approach, which increases the likelihood of delivering on your ROI targets.
Traditional consulting is typically accomplished by researching and assembling data before any analytical work and insight can begin. This usually involves a long and time-consuming process to accomplish.
Our Leveraged Consulting approach allows for the substantial work to be done on day one of a project. We utilize key data and analytic models found within our own business intelligence platform FisherSolve – the world’s most powerful proprietary pulp and paper analytics tool.
Our consultants are backed by Fisher’s entire global team of researchers, modelers, data scientists, papermaking experts and business analysts. We can leverage our extensive industry knowledge in combination with our proprietary business intelligence platform to provide businesses with unparalleled support that can’t be found anywhere else.